Recently my friend’s six year-old son discovered YouTube and she also quickly discovered the potential for her child to come upon some content that was inappropriate. I responded telling her about YouTube’s Safety Mode. It a quick way to block out mature content within YouTube without much effort.
I’ve listed the directions with screen shots below and you can also find details on the YouTube site here: http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=174084. There is also a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkI3e0P3S5E.
1. Go to the YouTube Website at the following URL: http://youtube.com.
If you already have a Google or YouTube account, go to step 3, if not go to step 2.
2. Select the Create Account link on the upper right side of the page and follow the directions to obtain an account or use the following URL: http://accounts.google.com.
3. Log into YouTube with your YouTube or Google account ID.
4. Scroll to the bottom right corner of the YouTube page and select the “Off” button to the right of the words Safety Mode. A box will pop up within the window giving you the option to turn on Safety Mode.
5. Select the “On” radio button. A new row will show up below the “On” button with a check box to “Lock safety mode on this browser.”
6. Place a check in the box to the left of the wording “Lock safety mode on this browser.”
NOTE: This will only place safety mode in the browser you are currently using. If you use other browsers, other computers or have different login accounts on the computer, you will need to repeat the process for all browsers, computers and accounts.
Keep in mind, this will not be a guaranteed fix to block all objectionable content and if you’re very concerned, parental control software is your best choice. More on that later.